Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cognitive Technology

In an effort to continue my quest for more technologically savvy educational tools that can be used to strengthen my lessons, I also focused on the theory of cognitive learning.  Cognitive learning theory involves the way in which we learn information.  Could technology be used to help students process information?  There were two types of instructional strategies that I investigated to discover this answer:  Cues, questions, and advanced organizers and the use of summarizing and note taking.

When using cues, questions, and advanced organizers, I have been re-introduced to tools that, ". . . help them classify and make sense of the content they'll encounter (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007)."  An advanced organizer that I plan to use is the online tool Webspiration.  With this tool, I can either create a visual organizer to help gather and build background knowledge or allow my students to use it as a research model.  Essential questions can be added to keep my students focused on the overall understanding.  Cues can be used to support my students growth.  The ability to add pictures and symbols to this organizer also makes this tool very helpful for my students with low reading and writing levels.  I have no doubt that using cues, questions, and advanced organizers will improve my students' overall understanding of new topics.  Supported by technology, my students will really make gains.

Yet, I can also use summarizing and note taking to help my students improve their cognitive learning.  When summarizing information that students acquire, it would be a mistake not to plan to use the Track Changes and AutoSummarizing features found in Microsoft Word.  Even students that cannot access the internet from home can use these features at home when practicing summarizing.  And because my purpose is always to teach for understanding, I would make sure that students utilize these features for both creation and a review.  Just as impressive, the Webspiration tools, Wikis, and blogs could be used to help students review their notes.  What better way to allow students to use the information that they have just acquired than to prepare them for others to read and understand?

Ultimately, I realize I have only touched the surface with ideas to use technology to improve my students' cognitive learning.  As I continue to experiment, I think my students are growing because I am willing to try new and innovative ideas for improving learning.  My students are now part of the process when choosing how to best prepare them for tomorrow's careers. I can just imagine the new ideas they could bring to my lessons.

References

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

8 comments:

  1. Dreanna,

    How do you plan to use the track changes feature with your students? I am looking for some ideas for it because I do not see many ways to use it for myself.

    Thanks,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreanna, it sounds like you are doing an awesome job in preparing your students for the future! The graphic organizer tools come in very useful when helping students to understand a concept or organizing their thoughts. Webspiration sounds like a great site that I am going to check out for myself. I like that the students are able to add pictures and symbols to the organizers. By adding pictures and symbols this really builds on students understanding of the material being taught.

    One of the most important things that you can do as an educator is continue to try new things and grow with your students. Keep up the great work!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dreanna,
    Thank you for sharing--I enjoy reading your posting.

    "An advanced organizer that I plan to use is the online tool Webspiration. With this tool, I can either create a visual organizer to help gather and build background knowledge or allow my students to use it as a research model. Essential questions can be added to keep my students focused on the overall understanding. Cues can be used to support my students growth. The ability to add pictures and symbols to this organizer also makes this tool very helpful for my students with low reading and writing levels."

    I love the idea of using Webspiration as an advance organizer. I think that works well on so many levels. Students who are novices with a content area often have difficulty understanding how information is connected--differentiating between important overarching concepts and supporting details--the relationships between concepts and information--and the map can provide a nice overview to facilitate this understanding.

    The ability to use multimedia can help us make the map more appealing--to better connect it to a broad base of learning styles.

    The maps make great study guides too--or cue students providing the scaffolding they need for deeper conceptual understanding.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreanna,
    I love how ready you are to embrace all of the new technology! I like the idea of using Microsoft Word Tracking for summaries too. I think this is a great way for students to get the process down. Sometimes my students spend so much time writing their summaries with pencil and paper that they lose focus- this is a great program to help keep them on track. I also agree with you that the webspiration concept maps are wonderful. I did one with my students this week, and they decided it was a good idea to create a hyperlink for each node that went straight to an information page on that subject. With that they could just toggle back and forth and keep the info they were obtaining in the area it needed to be organized in.
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreanna,
    This was my first time with webspiration and I found it to be a very beneficial tool. I believe the students would truly enjoy using it to organize their information and better overall understanding of the material presented. I also like the fact that it is something they can work on anytime they are able to access the web. I agree with you that we have just touch the surface of the technology to help enhance our cognitive learners, but to be able to use what we have learned this week is a step in the right direction!!! Great post!!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dreanna,
    I too want to use the Track Changes option in Microsoft Word. I think this comes from my comfort with the program. I find myself more willing to incorporate this new tool than the Concept Maps I worked on this week. I am still looking to reach beyond my comfort zone!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dreanna,

    I enjoyed reading your post. You seem not at all timid about trying new things with technology and that is great.

    This was my first time using the Webspiration. I found it to be pretty user friendly and think it would be great to use with my kids. Even though I teach Kindergarten and most cannnot read yet, I still believe with the visuals there is a lot we could do. I just have one question. I found the visuals to be limited and maybe could not find a picture to match part of my lesson I was doing. Is there another way to put pictures on the map or is that all that you see on the main page? Just curious and try to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it seems that most of us are trying out the technological tools of concept mapping together. That makes me feel much better because I am still new to using it. Bryan, I would like to try using the Track Change option to allow my students the opportunity to possibly edit each other's work. i agree, Susan, the maps are great study gudes. Michelle, I love the hyperlink idea. I originally thought my students might be overwhelmed be that but you make me feel like they could handle it. Amy and Carrie, I am still working in my comfort zone. I am just incorporating new skills while am doing it. Thanks for all of your comments guys.

    ReplyDelete